Thursday, October 29, 2015

Visualizing Wonder

Today 4HR read a passage from Wonder by R.J. Palacio and stopped to envision. This strategy helped us to understand the main character, Auggie Pullman's, daily reality and empathize with his struggles.

"In the hallways, which were always crowded, my face would always surprise some unsuspecting kid who maybe hadn't heard about me. The kid would make the sound you make when you hold your breath before going underwater, a little "uh!" sound. This happened maybe four or five times a day for the first few weeks: on the stairs, in front of the lockers, in the library."

Here is what 4HR envisioned:

I can picture the kids in the hallway, with surprised and shocked looks on their faces. I can hear the gasping noises they make as Auggie walks by. I can picture Auggie walking in the hallway, head-down, speed walking to get to his classroom. All around him, I hear the thumping of his classmates shoes. I can feel him wishing to be ignored, and wanting to duck and cover his face.

What do you envision with this passage?

No comments:

Post a Comment